[Cialug] Wireless Adapter

Jonathan A. Kollasch jakllsch at kollasch.net
Tue Aug 9 12:02:15 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 09:54 am, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> Any suggestions on Wireless Adapters?
>
> I've recently used the Linksys Wireless-G USB Adapter WUSB54G, but I'm
> not happy with it. The first two I've installed died within a year.
>
> I'm thinking of going with a PCI version with an antenna that is not fixed.

I'd suggest a Ralink based card, such as the Belkin F5D7000v3 (check for a
`rev 3000` sticker near the UPC). These run about $40. The Netgear WG311T, an
Atheros based card, has higher sensitivity, runs about $70, and requires a
non-free binary HAL. Also 108Mbps speed seems not to be supported by NetBSD
(haven't attempted it on Linux). The Ralink is also supported by OpenBSD 3.7,
and NetBSD-current (but last I heard WEP doesn't work yet). The Atheros is
also supported by Open, Free, and NetBSD (on i386). On Linux both chipsets
require a driver that is not yet in the kernel source. Both of the cards
mentioned have RP-SMA antennas.

	Jonathan Kollasch

All prices before possible rebate or tax. Other chipsets (such as the Prism54)
may work just as well, but I haven't tried them. On Linux I've only tried
these cards on an i386.