[Cialug] Determining File Format

John.Lengeling at radisys.com John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Mon Aug 8 15:34:57 CDT 2005

No idea...I doubt it is a UNIX compression format.   There are several
websites which keep track of file extensions...Google for the info.

Have you tried running strings(1) or od -c to see if there are any ascii
strings in the file.

johnl

"Jonathan Bailey" <jcbailey at code0.net>
Sent by: cialug-bounces at cialug.org
08/08/2005 03:03 PM
Please respond to
Central Iowa Linux Users Group <cialug at cialug.org>

cialug at cialug.org
cc

Subject
[Cialug] Determining File Format

I'm attempting to determine the compression format. I'm guessing it's
pretty old (circa 90). The file extension is 'xx~' where xx is the first 2
letters of the extension. I have an example compressed and uncompressed
file, but cannot determine the format. It's not compress or gzip. Anybody
have any idea based on file extension? If you need an example file, I can
post one online (I only have the before and after - no compression
program).

Jon