[Cialug] Linux in schools

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Thu Aug 4 17:32:35 CDT 2005

Lee offered the following on 08/04/2005 03:46 PM:
> Should they ever find themselves supporting it. Suse might be the better
> choice.
>

> Allen Kiddoo wrote:
>
>> I am going to donate a box to one of the local elementary schools
>> to be used in a 5th grade room. I told the teacher I would be installing
>> linux on it. She said as long as it works, she didn't care.
>>
>> Just found this link about linux in schools:
>> http://k12linux.org/
>>
>> Any discussion on which OS I should install?
>> I'm leaning between Ubuntu and Suse.
>>
>> Allen Kiddoo
>> Muscatine

I vote for Fedora and the CCRMA package of audio/video software!

Seriously, Allen, you might want to consider installing the FC distro
with the package from Stanford University's Center for Computer Research
in Music and Acoustics.  Our organization would be delighted to
participate with you, and explore some of the educational programs the
computer setup promises.  Sure, it's geared to the Arts, but, when you
think about it, there isn't one discipline that doesn't use multimedia
applications to provide project-based learning.  Let me know if you want
to discuss this further.
Tom

--
Open Studios, Charles City, Iowa, USA