[Cialug] What's your modem?

Jeff Davis jeff at dynamictelecard.com
Tue Aug 2 12:34:13 CDT 2005

In your first email you wrote:
"Well, something is terribly wrong and I cancelled my DSL and sent back the
  modem. The mail just wouldn't work no matter what. It had nothing to do with
  my mail server. I have 3 friends with their own servers and created a dummy
  benalto.com email account; they could all use pop and smtp. in turn, they
  gave me email accounts and specifically allowed my IP to access those but I
  couldn't download any mail from them. I couldn't log into AMSN, Yahoo, or
  Gaim either. No Opera/Firefox. No telnet out or ssh. Just NETSCAPE.
  I'm going to try a different isp, and a different modem. I am getting a lot of
  conflicting advice online. If any of you have DSL, what do you use for a
  Linux-friendly modem? (ideally, one that is recognized at install...)"

Before I ask you a ton of questions I'd like to know if this is something
that can be fixed.  If you've cancelled service and sent the Actiontec back
there's not much point in me asking since you cannot look up the answers and
possibly test a solution.

-Jeff