[Cialug] Wireless over Linux recommendations?

Anthony Jeffries cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 02:32:25 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, April 30, 2005 0:20, Tony Bibbs said:
<snip>
> This is probably as good a time to upgrade routers and nics.  What
> routers can any of you recommend and which linux friendly nics should I
> consider (mixing brands doesn't bother me).
>
> The cheaper the better.
>
> --Tony

Tony,

Sorry to hear about the dead router. I've used recent Netgear, D-Link and
Linksys routers with Linux with no problem, including configuration. All
three allow configuration via web browser through one of the LAN ports,
and I think you'll find that most wireless routers do that now.

My advice for the new router is to look at whatever's on sale at Best Buy,
CompUSA, the local office superstores and other computer supply places,
and then google for ratings and reviews of @STUFFONSALE. I happen to like
the Netgear WGR614 I have at home, and the D-Link something-or-other I
have at church. YMMV. I don't have enough experience with Linksys routers
to offer a reliable review. It's kind of hard to go wrong, though. MSRP on
most routers is in the $50 to $70 range, but with sales and rebates you
might get 50% off.

As for new NICs, spend a *lot* of time in research. I have a Netgear
WG511T, and it took a while to figure out a good way to run it. I started
out with ndiswrapper, tried a free trial of Linuxant DriverLoader, and
eventually ended up with the madwifi drivers, which have worked really
well. Other cards are more readily supported by Linux, and as you know
some are not supported at all, so do your research here. In the meantime,
your old 802.11b NICs should work just fine with your new router, as the g
routers are almost always backwards-compatible with b (they share the same
set of channels). The new routers also offer additional encryption
options, particularly WPA.

Well, I hope that this made sense. It's way too early on Saturday morning.
The following sites may also be of help to you:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php

--
Anthony Jeffries | ajeffri@loopysite.org