[Cialug] Perc3 RAID

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:59:27 -0500

Tony Bibbs wrote:
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2450 with a Perc 3 RAID controller in it.  After
> getting Gentoo built on it, reboots produce a kernel panic.  Dave Weis
> got me started in the right direction by suggesting the kernel can't
> find the controller.  I went into menuconfig and included the LSI
> megaraid, recompiled and rebooted but still got the same problem.
>
> Next, I went in and enabled the Adaptec AHAXXXX options in the kernel.
> Again I recompiled and rebooted and this time the kernel recognizes both
> of the SCSI channels (A and B) but still gave a kernel panic.
>
> Anybody else got Perc 3 card running under linux?  If so could you get
> me the corresponding kernel options you brought in?
>
> TIA,

I'm running a Dell 2650 w/ a PERC RAID controller on a linux box running
  Mandrake 10.1.

 From dmesg:

scsi0 : percraid
   Vendor: DELL      Model:                   Rev: V1.0
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Partition check:
  /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 < p5 p6 p7 p8 p9 >
Journalled Block Device driver loaded
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds

from /proc/pci :

   Bus  4, device   8, function  1:
     RAID bus controller: Dell Computer Corporation PowerEdge Expandable
RAID Con
troller 3 (rev 1).
       IRQ 30.
       Master Capable.  Latency=32.
       Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf0000000 [0xf7ffffff].

It's using a kernel module called "aacraid", not sure if that's for the
Perc controller or the other adaptec scsi card used for a TBU.

-dc