[Cialug] PCI Wireless Card

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:36:38 -0500

In my limited experience with pci wireless cards, I'd say the antenna on
them is not better - just because it looks better. I used a d-link card
(don't recall the model off-hand, but a 802.11b card) and the reception
on it was terrible. I think part of this is because the antenna is
hidden behind your PC, and that can be a lot of metal to try to get a
signal thru.

As far as other wireless goes... the pcmcia cards I'm using now are an
old-school Orinico (prism2), and a d-link that uses the TI ACX100
chipset. The ACX100 driver is pretty good now - it requires the firmware
file from the Windows driver (simlar to how the Hauppage PVR cards do
it) but the driver itself is linux native, unlike the ndis wrapper driver.

-dc