[Cialug] Partition question

Josh More cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:53:26 -0500

If you have already built your system, you're in for some pain.

What you need to do is set up as much of your drives with LVM as you
can.  To do this, you need to create physical volumes, join them in a
volume group, and assign a logical volume to the group.  However,
depending on your distro, you cannot set / as an LVM partition.  I
suggest you read the docs on LVM so that you understand how it works,
and if you decide that you still want to do this, you will need to boot
into rescue mode and start playing with disks.

Make sure you have good backups.

-Josh More

>>> jason@benalto.com 04/24/05 4:40 PM >>>
Hi there!
Okay, ...last time I tried doing something like this I wrecked
everything and
had to re-install from scratch! So I thought I'd ask those a lot smarter
than
I. I have two hard drives partitioned like this
/dev/hdc2           /home
/dev/hdd 1         /

What I would like to do is take 2 GB of space from the / directory (it's
a way
bigger drive) and put it under /home, because I'm really running out of
space
on /home. I'm using SuSE Linux 9.0. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks, rock and roll

-jason