[Cialug] serial terminal

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:19:29 -0500

I'm attempting to set up a serial terminal on a linux box (just for
fun), not as the main console, just as an extra tty.

I'm attempting to use the mgetty package on a Mandriva 2005LE (aka
Mandrake 10.2) box. I've got it kind of talking but not totally
correctly yet.

In my /etc/inittab I have this entry:

S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -s 9600 ttyS0 adm5

In my /etc/mgetty I have this:

port ttyS0
   direct y
   speed 9600
   toggle-dtr n

The terminal is still either displaying "baud barf" or nothing depending
on various combinations of the serial port settings I've tried. I know
it's talking to it :

Apr 18 22:16:28 localhost mgetty[20575]: data dev=ttyS0, pid=20575,
caller='none
', conn='DIRECT', name='', cmd='/bin/login', user='dave'

So, my question is: what are the serial port settings (i.e. 8N1) that
mgetty is expecting the terminal to be set to? I don't see anywhere to
set those in the man page or config files, it only talks about the
speed, which I have set to match the speed set on the DIP switches on
the terminal. Is there a different getty that someone would recommend?

-dc