[Cialug] Asterisk, IAXYs and IAX (was Des Moines Area ISPs)

Nathan C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:24:52 -0500

So how would an asterisk Coop work?  We would need:
 a machine,
 a place to host it
 Internet bandwidth with necessary room and/or QoS
 a small race of elf-like genius computer operators to manage it.

People could get individual accounts from companies like voicepulse or
Nufone and just host them on the box, that could make it easy to skirt
billing issues.  What codecs would we allow, what protocols to connect?  IAX
and/or SIP? (forgone conclusion: no h.323!).

There is a new version of the IAXy out, I don't know if the firmware is any
different (improved) or not.  I have one of the netweb phones loaded with
IAX, it works fine too, but you cannot configure it with multiple hosts like
you can the IAXy.  BTW, if you use Windows there is a really good IAXy
provisioning tool available.

Pulvers' thing is Bellster - I know the name changed, but I can't think of
it right now either.

The IAXY's are kind of overpriced when you compare them to the capabilities
of a Sipura 2000, but the Sipura's only support SIP at this time.

-Nate