[Cialug] Des Moines Area ISPs

Nathan C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:19:35 -0500

On the Asterisk lists they say that VOIP will bring the cable modems to a
crawl during prime time.  It will be interesting to see if it is true.  Have
they started introducing or advertising it yet?

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Maupin [mailto:alan.maupin@mchsi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:33 PM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: RE: [Cialug] Des Moines Area ISPs

I've had Mediacom since I moved here 18 months ago.    The only real problem
I've experienced the entire time was during the past month.    My cable
Internet service was frequently going in and out.    Eventually I was told
by a service tech that Mediacom had dialed the frequency down 3 db (whatever
that means) in order to prepare the system for telephone service.    I was
surprised to find out that having other items such as TV's, VCR's, Cable
Boxes connected to other cable outlets in your home reduced the overall
signal.    This combined with Mediacom turning down the frequency output
caused the cable modem to stop working.    The service tech hard wired one
cable outlet independent of the other outlets which were previously all tied
together by an 8 way splitter.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this, and does anyone have a clue
on what turning the frequency amplification 3 db does.    Also, what
telephone service runs off cable?

Another side effect of the frequency or signal dilution is blocky images on
digital cable ... yep I had that issue too.