[Cialug] Des Moines Area ISPs

Tim Perdue cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:37:04 -0500

timwilson011@mchsi.com wrote:
> Mediacom, basically because that's what I signed up with 4+ years ago.  At that
> time, DSL couldn't give the bandwidth cable could.  It still can't, but it is
> much better than it used to be.  I've been toying with the idea of switching to
> DSL (and InternetSolver), but just haven't been pushed (read: pissed off) enough
> I guess.
>
> I wonder whatever happened to multiple ISPs on cable...

I had really good luck with Mediacom for ~4 years, but switched to DSL
(freese notis) so I could have a fixed IP and servers online. VOIP seems
to be happier with DSL too. The cable modem network apparently has no
UPS anywhere, as it is offline as soon as your house lights dim.

DSL was going offline a lot whenever the phone would ring, but I finally
just canceled the phone service and it works fine now.

Tim