[Cialug] OT: Farming of e-mail addresses

Kevin C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:31:38 -0500

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 11:47 -0500, Bryan Baker wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2005, at 10:11 AM, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> > Could they be getting them from the list archives?  There are mailman
> > settings to "obfuscate" email addresses (smith from ipmvs dot com)
> > and to
> > make the archives off-limits except to list members.  (that won't help
> > if
> > they join the list though).  We could also add a policy to the first
> > message
> > the list sends (and the bottom of every message) that indicates proper
> > uses
> > of the lists and addresses.
>
> After looking at the list archive (unless someone just stepped in and
> did this) it looks like sender addresses are already munged.
> This does NOT however, do anything about people's .sigs.
> My guess is that they may have used the archive, but the scraping got
> the mails from those - not much Mailman could do about that.
>
> The policy idea might not be too bad (but DC is right, that we've been
> pretty lucky, and this thread is bigger than this particular problem)
>
> btw - I got 2

Okay, I'm not bitching about the e-mail I got; we have been lucky.
However, I am curious as to how she got my e-mail address. My first
thought was I missed something setting up the archives, but nope e-mail
addresses are hidden. The .sigs is a good guess, but I haven't used my
current address in a .sig; so not how mime was got.

The obvious answer. She is subscribed to the list ....

Hello headhunter ;)
--
Kevin C. Smith