[Cialug] Privacy and Gmail

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 17:20:06 -0600

So don't discuss money laundering via e-mail.  Who cares if someone reads your
e-mail, it should be common knowledge that you keep private things private, and
e-mail is anything but private.
I say let google play with peoples e-mail data, if they are warned it's fine.
Maybe there will be some good discoveries that might *shock* be useful.

I really don't understand what people are so concerned about with all this...
I'm sure people have read some of my e-mails, and I've sent e-mails I wouldn't
want anyone I know to read; but it was a calculated risk and it's all turned
out ok.  Generally though I've come to the conclusion that e-mail is just a bad
medium for any private or really important message (thanks to spam half the
mail you send may get filtered).

Which reminds me a while back when hot-babe was a bit controversy in Debian I
wrote some modifications to it and submitted them to the author.  I was quite
unsure of how to title the e-mail, because I figured titling it "hot-babe"
would get filtered.  Turns out it got filtered because I didn't and the e-mail
was badly formed (hey, I'm not an english student!), but he caught it anyway
(must be one of those guys who realizes he's overtweaked his junk filters a
bit).

Maybe someone can enlighten me on the big deal about e-mail privacy.  I'm all
for privacy where it's important (like your home life, and your telephone
conversations), and I'm all about privacy when there is no warning it might be
violated (imagine if all your mirrors turned out to have video cameras behind
them!); but this is a beta service e-mail that warns you.