[Cialug] DSL in Nevada

Dan Sloan cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:19:15 -0500

Its not DSL per se.  Its an almost proprietary Elastic Network ASDL system
by Paradyne (http://www.paradyne.com)

The home boxes are single sourced through the telephone company, or the
local alternative ISP, Midiowa.net  (Its still a single source...Midiowa has
to get them from the telephone co. as well)

I use Midiowa...mainly because they're nice people, and I hate to change
email addresses...Also they're tech support is local. (although limited
hours)

The ASDL service itself has been pretty stable, the local cable service has
not been.  (At least it wasn't last year...the cable is on a single
segment...anytime they were doing serious work...it all went down)

Dan Sloan
Systems Administrator
Clg of Business and Public Administration
Drake University
dsloan@drake.edu
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a
nail"
  -- Abraham Maslow