[Cialug] Question?

Leeland Heins cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:36:32 -0500

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 03:07 pm, Academician Kula wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 01:40:35PM -0500, Christopher Freeman wrote:
> > I'd be interested to see if Lisp or Scheme are being used as production
> > languages anywhere. I know of at least one AI company around, but I
> > don't know what they use as their language(s) of choice.
>
> I believe one of my friends who works at a company that makes add-ons
> for one of the large CAD packages said he does a lot of stuff in LISP
> or Scheme or one of those parenthetical languages.

I used to do a lot of programming for CAD applications that ran inside
AutoCAD.   Although most of what I did was in C, AutoLisp, was popular
with people that thought C was too hard.  Personally I was always of the
camp that said LISP stood for 'Lost In Stupid Parentesis'.  I had to know
enough of it to decode hairball scripts written by non-programmer
application engineers and rewrite them into C.  I will admit bias.  Lisp,
and all its variants are IMNEFCTHO, wretched abominations.

--
Leeland Heins, leeh@softwarejanitor.com