[Cialug] Question?

Christopher Freeman cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:40:35 -0500

Claus wrote:

> I'm not sure how many programming languages are out there but there
> are quite a few obscure ones that are used for production in certain
> areas or shops.  Pascal was never much being advertised as a
> production language but instead has always been seen as a teaching
> language by the general IT population.  So the hype was never that big
> about it except for a time at educational institutions.  Besides my
> personal opinion is that programming languages are over hyped and that
> often decisions for one language over the other are made for the wrong
> reasons.
>
> I did run into a guy once that swore that Pascal was the greatest
> language and that he was in a shop that used it for production stuff.
> Unfortunately our encounter was only brief and I wasn't able to sit
> down and talk to him extensively about it.
>
>   Claus

My ex-cousin-once-removed-in-law used to program in Forth as a
free-lance programmer. That's pretty esoteric. He swore by it. I'll
never know why.

My old boss wanted to port all of our stuff to Pascal after seeing a
Kylix demonstration. I never could figure out if he was serious. I hope
not. Fortunately, he's not making the decisions around here anymore.

I'd be interested to see if Lisp or Scheme are being used as production
languages anywhere. I know of at least one AI company around, but I
don't know what they use as their language(s) of choice.

What kind of programming (esp. Linux/Unix programming) do people on the
list do, and with what languages? I do Unix commandline application
development in C, C++ (very small amounts) and Perl primarily.

Chris