[Cialug] A couple more Debian questions

Renegade Muskrat cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:24:05 -0500

In Debian is there an easy or proper way to configure an iptables
firewall? I have the iptables package installed. But unlike Red Hat, i
don't notice an associated script in /etc/init.d to load a ruleset at
system boot. Do i have to write my own script, or is there some
separate package that i missed? I've seen some fancy GUI firewall
configurators. I don't want anything like that; i'm perfectly content
to write firewall rules manually. I just haven't seen an obvious way to
go about loading the iptables rules on reboot yet.

Second question: What is the recommended way to go about configuring a
printer in Debian Sarge? I've never been terribly competent at setting
up printers, so it is one area that i actually prefer a GUI. Under Red
Hat i've always gotten by using printconf (or whatever the name of the
GUI utility is). Is there something similar that will make setting up a
printer easy?

Random fun note: I installed gdm to provide a graphical login screen. I
found that by adding a line "1=Standard" to the "[servers]" section of
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf that i get 2 graphical logins, one on virtual
terminal 7 and another on 8. I could have created a third and fourth by
adding "2=Standard" and "3=Standard". I've not looked into other X
login screens (such as kdm or xdm), but i assume they could be
configured to work the same way. I just thought it was rather
interesting and useful that 2 separate X sessions can be run
simultaneously.
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233
        WARNING: REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE MAY BE IN
                 VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.
                 THIS MESSAGE NOT GUARANTEED Y-TO-K COMPLIANT.