[Cialug] OT: PCs to expensive?

Chris Hilton cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:21:13 -0500

This is not a popular opinion, but it makes the most sense.  To reduce
this problem with piracy in many of these poor countries one thing is
lacking, and it's not money to buy the software; it's enforcement to
give reason to buy the software.
Why does one buy a $200 tv instead of stealing it from the store?
Because the potential costs of theft are prison time, costing thousands
of dollars in lost work time, and other more vulgar costs.  This is a
bad example.  Why?  A tv is really hard to steal!
So why don't people redistribute items in stores today which are cheaply
copiable (e.g., software, music, and movies); simple.  You go to prison
for that.  But it's done in many countries, in stores with actual
property.  Because no one is stopping them.
Microsoft has no power to stop this, and frankly I see no reason for
them to try.  Consider the market a loss, and keep a white list of those
in those countries who are allowed to use windows update, then block the
rest.
Of course they want to expand, but sometimes you just have to recognize
what isn't going to work right now and cut your losses (quit wasting
their dev time on this stupid Windows XP SE).

And to stop piracy in America.  Well, most people I know who pirate it
wouldn't buy it if it were $20.  And if I am going to buy it, I will buy
it as long as it's in a reasonable range for me; there's no way I can
afford a $1000 piece of software, I don't even give the Government that
much.