[Cialug] Software RAID on Debian Project

Chris K. cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:24:56 -0600

I'm hoping someone out there in lugland has done this before as I'm
preparing for a project (under-funded as usual) at work.  The howtos I =
have
found have been rather incomplete.  I will list some links that I have =
been
looking at later.

Requirements:
Disk mirroring using the Linux Kernel (all partitions including boot and
root).
Minimal intervention if disk fails (ie. Selecting to boot from disk =
that's
still functioning from the lilo prompt).
Automated rebuilding of the mirror once the failed disk has been =
replaced
(as automated as it can be).

I've gotten the kernel compiled with RAID support (compiled in, not =
module).
The second ide drive is installed (same size and brand).
All data is backed up to another server in case of castrophe.

If someone would be so kind as to take a look at the following links and =
let
me know which is the best to follow, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-adv/raid.htm
http://sxs.thexdershome.com/hardware/raid_for_idiots.html
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO-1.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO.html
http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Howto/Root-RAID-HOWTO-1.html
http://juerd.nl/site.plp/debianraid

Or if anyone has another proven howto, that would be great as well!

Thanks!
Chris

--=20