[Cialug] X error message

Renegade Muskrat cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:13:06 -0600

I recently found an error message that the venerable Google does not
seem to know much about:

xscreensaver: 20:58:33: 0: unrecognized ClientMessage
"_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW" received
xscreensaver: 20:58:33: 0: for window 0x2014101 (xscreensaver-demo /
Xscreensaver-demo)

I have seen this message on Red Hat (several versions from 9 going back
to at least 6.2) and on Debian (Sarge, since that's all i've really
played with). The easiest way to tickle this error is to run
xscreensaver-demo and try testing several different screensaver modules
until one of them gets the error. The error appears in a large yellow
console font across the top of the screen. I have seen other graphical
programs besides xscreensaver cause this, so it is not limited to that
one program. Has anyone else seen this? I thought it was fairly common
since i've seen it several times on different Linux distributions. But
when i tried Google with "unrecognized ClientMessage _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW
received" it found very little.
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233
        WARNING: REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE MAY BE IN
                 VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.
                 THIS MESSAGE NOT GUARANTEED Y-TO-K COMPLIANT.