[Cialug] Meeting topic - webcam driver?

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:50:27 -0600

If nobody else has a meeting topic, I have a project that should be
do-able. I have a little Veo portable webcam that isn't (last time I
checked) supported by the generic IBM Webcam driver. It uses a chipset
nearly identical to one of the supported Veo webcams, but has a
different USB identifier.

I bought this one because I knew the other Veo desktop USB webcam did
work under Linux, and I incorrectly assumed this one would too, and it
was really cheap at CompUSA at the time.

I did start this once, but had some issue getting the module to build
correctly... I could compile my patched driver, but it blew up somewhere
after that, and I got distracted by something shiny with blinky lights
and never got back to it.

I propose that we update the generic IBM webcam to add support for this,
and submit it back to the maintainers.

If anyone want to look into it before hand, the device has a model # of
"650VS23X". The driver file I'm attempting to mod is "ibmcam2.c" (2.4
kernel) or "ibmcam.c" (2.6 kernel). The supported Veo cameras have an ID
defined like this:

#define VEO_800D_PRODUCT_ID     0x800D  /* Veo Stingray, repackaged
Model 4 */

The one I'm adding looks like this:

#define VEO_MOBILE_PRODUCT_ID   0x8135  /* Veo Mobile */

-dc