[Cialug] Ubuntu cds

Kevin C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:59:57 -0600 (CST)

For those interested I will bring a live cd of Ubuntu.

http://ubuntulinux.org/

I will also bring my laptop to burn Ubuntu ISOs. If you want a Ubuntu
live cd, or install cd please bring your own writable cd.

(I'll bring some, but I don't trust this last cd batch I purchased. Lots
of coasters.)

I'm liking this distro. The will release every six months. The current
release is their first, so it's considered "not pretty" yet.
The word on the Ubuntu list is that the next release will include more
mods/additions to gnome, such as a automatic wireless connection applet
that will handle your profiles (a piece that I find lacking in most linux
distros). Also coming more laptop support, dealing with centrino stuff out
of box, X.org will replace XFree (no surprise there), bootsplash, and more.

Ndswrapper is already included and works for most installs
I've seen on the list. Some firmware is included, as well as Nvidia modules,
and MadWifi. Madwifi worked out of box for me, so my new laptops
multiband (a/b/g) Atheros WiFi just works. Also they included "pmount" for
hotplugging and mounting devices, which works great (cleans Fedora's clock).

I've also ordered pressed cds to give out, but I do not expect them by
meeting time :(.

--
Kevin C. Smith