[Cialug] Linux Tweaks and Hacks

James Shoemaker cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:45:35 -0600

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> That's interesting, was that a long time ago?  I've never had a problem like
> you describe.  I don't capture frames but I do copy large files.  Were you
> capturing and writing on the same machine?

	Capturing and Writing on the same machine (too much bandwidth for my
100Mbps ethernet)  It generates approx 200Meg/Minute and I captured the
hour tapes whole so I was streaming 12 gig of data into a directory
single directory of files during an hour of continuous writing.

	I had the problem and gave up on reiser around a year and a half ago.
I have had good luck with ext3 since so I have had no reason to go back
to reiser.

	If I leave ext3 it will likely be to JFS or XFS, reiser just gave me a
bad taste after that.  I wasted time shuffling drives around trying to
blame the problem on slow hardware before I came to the conclusion that
it was reiser.  I tried to blame everything else.

James