[Cialug] The killer APP?

Tom Pohl cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:42:02 -0600

I just need a web browser that works *just* like internet exploder
(excluding security exploits of course) so I can use my web version of
Quickbooks.  Unfortunately, there are key websites in the world that
believe in only supporting one browser type and have no qualms about
not supporting anything else.  While people will say, "Hey you need to
support xyz to be compatible with the world" the websites look at the
cost-effectiveness of the development effort and decided that it is NOT
in their best interest. I've been on projects that require
cross-browser support and the 80/20 rule most certainly applies! (80%
of development effort is devoted to cross browser support instead of
actual features).

At the beginning of the year, I switched to a powerbook as my ONLY
"desktop" machine and I *love* it!  It truly is *nix on the desktop.
Of course because of proprietary software, I also run Virtual PC for
those few apps that need to run on windows.  Also, I run several
variants of linux in virtual pc to create my own personal, portable
test environment.  I like to think of my machine as a BSD box with the
Aqua window manager :)  Until the world comes to the realization that
everyone needs to get along under a common set of standards (read
*never*) any power user on a non-windows desktop either will likely
need something that can only run under a windows environment.  Of
course, right now, when I have to fire up my virtual machine every time
I want to run something under windows, I'm motivated to find a native
program that can replace my need for windows, but I'm not hampered from
getting the job done.  Tighter integration from the parent os to
windows applications using projects like WINE are very attractive
because it eliminates the stigma of "running windows" BUT it does make
running those one or two programs a little easier.

Let's all remember why we're not running the microsoft operating system
in the first place. <place reason here> and *that* is why I'm not
worried about the emulator being an app killer :)

-Tom