[Cialug] Apple Store

Renegade Muskrat cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:20:05 -0600

At work we recently purchased 8 of the new 17" G5 iMacs. They were only
about $1200 each, and well worth the cost. They are very nice machines.
If i could afford a new machine right now, i'd seriously consider
getting one, even though (in my experience, which admittedly hasn't
been terribly recent) Macs don't run Linux terribly well and so i'd
stick with OS X. Some of the other tech people on campus who haven't
ordered or received any yet seem a bit envious. The $2350 figure quoted
below is because in the free giveaway they are including a printer,
digital camera, and digital camcorder.

The iMacs use comparable components to a laptop, though they are more
powerful. The iMac for instance has a G5, whereas Apple laptops only
have a G4 (for now). The monitor is also larger than what would be
comfortable to carry around as a laptop; the low-end model is a 17"
widescreen.

Sorry... after working with Apple hardware and software as much as i
could the past year, i've become a fan of their stuff. Used to be that
i couldn't stand Macs, but OS X changed that. I still prefer Linux as a
desktop OS and OpenBSD for servers, but i could be happy using an OS X
machine as a desktop platform, and possibly as a server.

At 01:51 PM 11/5/2004 -0600, you wrote:
 >It costs $2350, but is it really worth that much? :p
 >
 >I admit that the new G5 iMac thing is neat looking, but it's
essentially

 >a laptop with external keyboard. I'd rather have the laptop and plug
in

 >a usb keyboard when I need it. If I bought a desktop PC for that much

 >money, I would expect to be able to update the video card so it's not

 >obsolete in a year.
 >
 >p.s. YellowDog Linux just had a new release...
 >
 >http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/05/1744249&tid=107&tid=10
 >6
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233
        WARNING: REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE MAY BE IN
                 VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.
                 THIS MESSAGE NOT GUARANTEED Y-TO-K COMPLIANT.