[Cialug] vote

Chris Hilton cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:52:18 -0600

"The last subsection under Section 1030(a)(5) is a catchall misdemeanor.
It targets "outside" hackers who intentionally access a protected
computer and cause any sort of damage. The hacker doesn˙t have to intend
to cause any damage. But the difference with this subsection and the one
above is that the hacker˙s actions here are not considered "reckless."
For example, if a hacker exploits a Sendmail bug and negligently erases
a file in the process, he would be liable under this subsection."

I assume this refers to that; but nmap can't really be considered an
access as it doesn't request any information (although I suppose a good
lawyer could prove God is the Devil and vice versa so maybe it could
be).

Unlikely is my theme, unlikely.  Wrong yes, but unlikely.

Anyway!  Moving on..