[Cialug] [cialug]small linux

Kenneth Ristau cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:44:15 -0600

Dan Hockey wrote:
> does anyone know of a linux distro that will run on a old computer? its
> a p75 40mb ram and 6gb hdd. i've tried debian 3r2 but keep messing up
> things when installing X.
> -dh

I suppose that depends a lot on what you want to use it for.  If you are
just setting up a workstation with no network or on a well-firewalled
network, then a older distro might work fine for you.  I have some old
CD's I could dig up with RH 6.x and early RH 7.x if you want them.

If, however, you are wanting a modern kernel or the system will have to
fend for itself on a hostile network, then there isn't much out there
I'm afraid.  The older distros are so out of date that they would likely
be compromised in short order, even if you applied all the patches you
could find.

I have Knoppix 3.2 running on a P133 laptop with 140 Mb of RAM and it is
dog, dog slow.  My wife uses it to look up recipes from our ReciPants
database, so it suits its purpose well because once she looks the recipe
up, it stays on the screen for a long time.  It is almost impossible to
read Slashdot or Google News unless you have the patience of a 150 year
old Tibetan monk.

If you want those old disks, let me know and I'll bring them to the next
meeting.

later,
kristau