[Cialug] Video editing/DVD Authoring

James Shoemaker cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:43:19 -0600

	The question on transcoding made me curious if anyone else is doing
Video Editing and DVD authoring under Linux.  I do a minimal amount of
editing and author DVD disks without menus using a collection of
scripts.  Any editing I do I use kino.  The scripts use a combination of
dvgrab, mplayer, yuvdenoise, mpeg2enc, mp2enc, dvdauthor, mkisofs, and
the patched cdrecord that can write to DVD discs.

	My source material comes completely from firewire, either my digital
camcorder, or my pyro analog->firewire converter.

	I use http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html to calculate bitrates required
to fit the material on a DVDR.  Mostly because it works and I haven't
bothered to find another tool.

	I saw that there are a few functional DVD menu authoring tools now
available, but I haven't had time to try any of them yet.

	The drawback with dabbling in video is the limitless thirst for CPU
power and disk space.  I have upgraded my motherboard/CPU 4 times (up to
a dual AMD 2000+) and am constantly hunting for cheap/large drives
(currently using a striped raid of 3 43 gig UW-SCSI drives for scratch
space).  Even with the dual 2000+ I only encode at something like 7:1.

	Does anyone else dabble in video?  If so, what tools do you use?

James