[Cialug] computers in unusual conditions

Dave Weis cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:44:29 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> I've got a box of them here...
>>> Nathan C. Smith wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> <old man mode>
>>> Remember when there was no such thing as CD's? I had a 160k single sided
>>>  single density 5.25" 1541 diskette drive on my Commodore 64 that
>>> communicated over a serial bus to the computer at 1200bps. And that's
>>> the way we liked it. Fiddle dee floo. It was SO much faster than the
>>> Datasette it replaced. :p
>>> </old man mode>
>> better yet, how 'bout the the 8" floppies the xeox 820 used.

The at&t definity (very large expensive phone system) still uses audio
casettes for backups and software updates. The first time I saw one still
in use I thought it was for music on hold.

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis@sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent