[Cialug] computers in unusual conditions

Lee cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:20:15 -0600

Some years back I worked on an older PC deployed in the foundry at Eagle
Iron Works (downtown Des Moines). Believe me, after seeing it first hand.
The conditions for a PC were less than ideal. I believe it was a 486, which
would have required a fan. It had run quite well for years, hooked up to a
odd little device that they poured molten metal into. The software then
recorded measurements from the device. In all its time in service the only
real problem was the serial port failed.

Point being this was a stock off-the-shelf PC. And it's only downfall was
old age.

-----Original Message-----
From: cialug-admin@cialug.org [mailto:cialug-admin@cialug.org]On Behalf
Of Jeff Davis
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 2:23 PM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: [Cialug] computers in unusual conditions

I'm curious if anyone on the list has deployed computers into abnormal
situations.
e.g. A PC for data collection in an unheated/non-cooled building in Iowa
where the year round
      ambient temp range is dramatic.

I know you can buy 'rugged' equipment that will handle such extremes, but
in this case I'm already looking at using a hand-me-down PII 500 which is
more than sufficient for the task.

--

Jeff Davis