[Cialug] Question about going broadband in Des Moines...

Dave J. Hala Jr. cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:30:50 -0600

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 11:22, reinstall hell wrote:
> don't know what sites you download from but i get 3mbit all the time
> when i download from a server that isn't overloaded. and your mistaken
> the upstream is 256kbps (which isn't all that great either), but who

When I had mediacom here, in Marshalltown, upstream was capped at 128k.

> needs that much upstream? its fine for uploading txt, pictures, and
> short movie files. if you really have the need for lots of upstream go
> with DSL (hope you live close to your carrier) and you can get that

Generally speaking, Linux users tend to be "power users" and use a lot
of upstream bandwidth.

> 1.5mbit down/ 1.5mbit up (still for a very hefty price usually
> ~$60-70/month right?). only people i've heard of using stuff like that

I pay Qwest $40 a month, and a small fee to my ISP.

> are pirates, programmers, and those needing remote access(none of which,
> being related).
> going back to sites that support the 3mbit, i thought that most webhosts
> give their sites ~>5mbps to work with usually. granted online gaming

> never uses more than proably 768kbps(if that), making it crucial to have
> DSL should you run a game server. most ISPs however are not server

My experience is that many of smaller dsl providers are server friendly.
You have some choice with DSL providers. Pick one that works for you.

> friendly(some will let you pay an extra monthly fee to get away with
> it), so check with your ISP about whether you can have a server or not.
> all that other stuff aside, can you tell me what you mean by "doesn't
> police their network well" means? because they don't manage their
> network. AT&T does, or so i've been told by customer support. so blame
> AT&T (yes the same one thats the phone carrier). any AT&T fans in here?

First of all Mediacom is providing you a service, who actually manages
their network is irrelevant.  You're buying a service from Mediacom.
Blaming AT&T is *nuts*.

I was port scanned almost 10x more by Mediacom customers when I was on
Mediacom as I was anywhere else (I didn't count the scans that Mediacom
did on my machines) 90% of those scans originated from Mediacom
customers.  Email's to support regarding those and other "hostile"
activities went unanswered. Nothing every changed.. I could go on and on
and on...

The Mediacom network was what I would consider "a hostile" envirnoment.
Hence, the "Ghetto comment". As far my opinion goes, I'll note that you
think it is uncool and disrespectful, however, it won't change.

You can choose what Internet "neighborhood" you live in. I choose not to
live in Mediacom 'hood.