[Cialug] Question about going broadband in Des Moines...

reinstall hell cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:39:09 -0600

just looked. fastest DSL i can physically get is IDSL. which from what
i've read is the same as ISDN, woohoo. i live ~20000 ft from my Telco's
switch. does anyone know if cable internet has any limitations of this
sort? just curious.

reinstall hell wrote:

> don't know what sites you download from but i get 3mbit all the time
> when i download from a server that isn't overloaded. and your mistaken
> the upstream is 256kbps (which isn't all that great either), but who
> needs that much upstream? its fine for uploading txt, pictures, and
> short movie files. if you really have the need for lots of upstream go
> with DSL (hope you live close to your carrier) and you can get that
> 1.5mbit down/ 1.5mbit up (still for a very hefty price usually
> ~$60-70/month right?). only people i've heard of using stuff like that
> are pirates, programmers, and those needing remote access(none of
> which, being related).
>
> going back to sites that support the 3mbit, i thought that most
> webhosts give their sites ~>5mbps to work with usually. granted online
> gaming never uses more than proably 768kbps(if that), making it
> crucial to have DSL should you run a game server. most ISPs however
> are not server friendly(some will let you pay an extra monthly fee to
> get away with it), so check with your ISP about whether you can have a
> server or not.
>
> all that other stuff aside, can you tell me what you mean by "doesn't
> police their network well" means? because they don't manage their
> network. AT&T does, or so i've been told by customer support. so blame
> AT&T (yes the same one thats the phone carrier). any AT&T fans in here?
>
> and i don't respect that comment of "ghetto". don't use it again. very
> uncool.
>
> Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
>
>> I don't agree that cable (mediacom) Internet is better than DSL.  I had
>> Mediacom.  Mediacom Internet is like the "ghetto of the internet".
>> Mediacom doesn't police their network well.
>>
>> Just remember,  you may get a fast download connection, but your
>> upstream connection is usually limited to 128k...
>>
>> So what if they say you can get 3mb downstream.  How many servers can
>> you download from that will actually support that rate? Almost none.
>> You say you go peer-to-peer?  Try and do that at 6pm in the evening on
>> Mediacom's network.
>> 1.5/1.0mb DSL would be my first choice, from a small to mid-size
>> provider. 640/256kb DSL my second choice.  Mediacom would be my last
>> choice.
>>
>> :) Dave
>>

>> On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 21:17, Chris Hilton wrote:
>>

>>> Because mediacom is one of the worst companies in our neighbourhood.
>>> 1.)  Obnoxious ads constantly calling us thieves.
>>> 2.)  Ads calling us stupid, saying we will eat monkey droppings.
>>> 3.)  More outage time than a properly setup dish.