[Cialug] Question about going broadband in Des Moines...

Academician Kula cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:37:54 -0600

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 10:34:50AM -0600, Rocket Robin Hood wrote:
> Hey there, first time poster, just joined the list. I use Linux, have for some
> years now and I'm the only one I know who does, so this could be neat. My
> main purpose right now is finding a DSL or cable provider in Des Moines THAT
> DOESN'T FREAK OUT WHEN I DON'T HAVE WINDOWS, haha. Right now I'm at 56K with
> good ol' Qwest but can't go to Qwest (or Verizon, apparently) DSL. Any ideas?
> Thanks a lot!

Welcome to the list.

I've been a user of Freese-Notis http://www.internet.weather.net/dsl.html
for several years and have been pretty happy with them. No Winders at
home (heck, no Linux either, all BSD, OS X and VMS here) and I haven't
had a problem. It is Freese-Notis as the DSL ISP and Qwest as the
DSL signalling, so it depends on whether you can't get Qwest/Verizon DSL
because their ISP side freaks out when you don't have Windows or if you
can't get it because their signalling side can't pump anything out to
you.

--
Thomas L. Kula | tkula@io.com | http://www.madscientistresearch.net
Mathom House upon the Canw, The People's Republic of Ames