[Cialug] RE: Port blocking - and unwanted intruders.

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:21:02 +0000

The "illegal user" entry is more serious.  It looks like someone is trying to
exploit an openssh flaw.  Three years ago, my box was 0wned because of an
openssh flaw.  I now only allow ssh from the places I might be ssh'ing from.
Any others get blocked by ipchains (for FC2, it would probably iptables).

I'm sure adding the addresses to hosts.deny will work, I chose to do it at the
firewall level.  That way, unless there's a bug in the firewall, it will get
blocked there.  Maybe as an extra security measure, both should be done.

I don't think sending an e-mail to that contact would help.  It appears to be a
Korean university, which could have several thousand students.  It could be a
lab IP address, which could be open to anyone.  The chances of them doing
anything about it would be slim, IMHO.

--
Tim W.