[Cialug] Postfix 1 to 2 conversion issues

Academician Kula cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 17:58:39 -0600

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 05:54:18PM -0600, Bailey, Jonathan C wrote:
> I just converted to Postfix 2 from v1 recently. I'm now having an issue with braindead SMTP clients. Any ideas of what would have changed to cause this? I haven't been able to get much out of google.
>
> Dec  3 17:47:18 coldfusion postfix/smtpd[5024]: warning: coldfusion[207.206.203.56] sent non-SMTP command: Subject: Test

No idea here. Looks like whatever is sending this e-mail started
sending the actual e-mail before the DATA phase of the smtp
transaction started. Postfix has provisions to do uber-massive
logging of SMTP transactions from certain hosts --- you may want
to turn that on for whatever host is talking to you here. Crank
it up high enough and you'll pretty much see the SMTP as it is
taking place, and what is flying back and forth. Otherwise, use
tcpdump or friend to watch the traffic.

> I'm also getting messages like the following:
>

> Dec  3 17:47:18 coldfusion postfix/smtpd[5024]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from coldfusion[207.206.203.56]: 504 <coldfusion>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname; from=<xxxxx@code0.net> to=<xxxxx@bp.com> proto=SMTP helo=<coldfusion>

Here you probably want to take a look at:
 http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_non_fqdn_hostname

Although it sounds as if coldfusion is talking to itself, in which case
it might be that it doesn't have a fully qualified domain name set, or
Postfix doesn't know what it is.

--
Thomas L. Kula | tkula@io.com | http://www.madscientistresearch.net
Mathom House upon the Canw, The People's Republic of Ames