[Cialug] pdflib compile problems

Chris cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:05:14 -0500

Ive been trying to get pdflib to compile as a shared library with absolutely
no luck.  This is on a redhat 7.1 system. The documentation is thin at best,
so I was hoping someone out there in lug-land has messed with this hunk of
junk before.  I have tried this with 4.0.1, .2, and .3, all with the same
results. Here is my compile procedure:

./configure --enable-shared-pdflib <-- (php binding is default)
make
make install

It creates a libpdf.so.1.1.1 with sylinks to it of libpdf.so and libpdf.so.1
in /usr/local/lib

Ive added extension_dir = /usr/local/lib/ and  extension=libpdf.so to the
php.ini file per the instructions and confirmed that /usr/local/lib is
contained in /etc/ld.so.conf.  I have also run ldconfig to make sure
everything is up to speed.

When I attempt to access a page that is supposed to generate a pdf file, I
get Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pdf_open().
As far as I can tell from the docs, pdf_open() is supported in all these
versions.

Now, if I install the pre-compiled libpdf_php.so (making all appropriate
changes to conf files), it works fine, but with a HUGE watermark across the
page.  Our secretaries don't seem to like this too much for some reason.  As
an aside, according to the license agreement, we can use this internally
without registration fees.  Why a formatted textfile isnt good enough for
printing, I'll never know.

Any help would be appreciated (specially anyone actually attempting a
compile that spits out a binary that I might try).  If you need more info,
let me know.

Chris K.