[Cialug] X Remote access

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 12:22:08 UTC 2023

I've worked with PopOS, Debian, and Ubuntu recently, and they all have a
"Remote Control" feature in the system settings. HOWEVER, I've not had much
luck getting that to work to my satisfaction.

For one, the remote side needs to be logged in and unlocked before you can
take control. This is not very secure as I don't want to leave my system
unlocked when I'm not there. Supposedly it supports both VNC and RDP
protocols, but I've only been able to get the VNC protocol to work. With
the VNC protocol, if you log in to a remote console session, then that
session also appears live on the console. Again, someone standing in front
of the remote system would be able to see everything and potentially hijack
that session. Not very secure.

I have not tried this lately, but have used it successfully in the past:
Disable all built-in remote session tools, install and configure a VNC
server, and set it up so you can log in to a VNC session which is not tied
to the console itself. For session encryption, I'd just use ssh tunneling.
This won't log you in to the console, so you'll be starting a new,
secondary session any time you connect.

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 4:39 PM L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> Been many years since I had a need to use my main workstation remotely, ..
> assuming a VPN connection (i.e. local subnet), what is the best way to
> work at a GUI currently, and which window manager? IIRC, last time it was
> Remmina/VNC in 2015.
>
>         TIA!

Tired programmer
Coding late into the night