[Cialug] Reminder: CIALUG meeting Next Wednesday 7PM Topic: Steam Deck

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 22:52:32 UTC 2022

Should be a good meeting. I've got a steam deck, it's pretty cool to see
how they've made a consumer gaming device built on Linux that's shipped
over a million units so far - and made it friendly to people that want to
use the Linux / KDE Plasma desktop and modify things - including letting
people install their own NVMe drives (i.e. you can buy the base model and
install your own storage if you want), and the SD card support makes it
really easy for people that want to run emulators to have a different
removable SD card for different uses.

Steam and the KDE Plasma team have been doing a lot of work, as well as the
increased development on WINE / Proton. In a way I'm sad that the emphasis
is on making Windows games run on Linux instead of pushing more of them to
be ported to native Linux applications, but I'm also really impressed by
how well it works (for the most part, there are some games that don't run
or run poorly on the deck).

Here's a video talking about some of the current improvements in the works:

https://youtu.be/l-gS3OSSf58

-dc