[Cialug] PCIE for graphics card

Scott Yates Scott at yatesframe.com
Thu Oct 13 16:42:51 UTC 2022

Almost a me too comment, but separately the new standards are advising
against using splitters too.  The new series of graphics cards just pull
WAY more power than even one generation back, and the splitters that they
SHIP with the cards take like 4 pcie inputs and mush them into one damn
connector for your video card.  There are already posts about issues with
these.

That is of course the extreme end of the problem, but splitters (joiners?)
are typically a bad idea for higher end cards in general.

TLDR:  (why is that always at the end of the damn text?)  If possible, get
the right kind of power supply that has powerful enough rails that you
don't have to use splitters/joiners.