[Cialug] digital cameras

jaybabel at mchsi.com jaybabel at mchsi.com
Thu Jun 30 22:22:50 CDT 2005

I've had a Canon ZR25 MiniDV camera for over three years.  Been pretty happy
with it.  It has an SD card for taking stills but we haven't used it for that
much at all.  I bought it for around $500.

We have a couple Olympus digital cameras that have worked well.  Our new one is
the C-60 (6.1 Megapixels).  If you picked up another Kodak comparable in price
to your dc3400 you will notice the improvement.  I think our C-60 cost about
$350.  That's about as high as I'd go since they improve so much so quickly.
The C-60 uses XD memory and a rechargeable battery (I think the spare cost about
$50).  If you don't want to spend more than $350 you probably want to consider
batteries and flash memory cards.  Will you want spares?  I'd also make sure
there are Linux drivers available - there isn't for our C-60.