[Cialug] MPS and APIC and ACPI

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Jun 30 15:48:27 CDT 2005

MPS and APIC and ACPI blah!  Alphabet soup and I'm confused.

Are these systems mainly concerned with routing interrupts on multiprocessor
systems or is there a reason to have them on a single processor machine?
Perhaps a single processor machine with lots of card slots.  Am I missing
out on anything if I disable it in the BIOS?

I found this on the MS web site :
"Note:The Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Specification, Revision
1.0b replaces the Multiprocessor Specification, Version 1.4."

Anybody share some rules of thumb for configuring this setting and which
ones Linux supports?

http://www.acpi.info/spec.htm#spec

Thanks.

-Nate

Nathan Smith  McKee, Voorhees & Sease, P.L.C.  515.288.3667