[Cialug] Suse and Windows XP

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Wed Jun 29 09:02:40 CDT 2005

I wouldn't mind a crash course in LVM

-Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh More [mailto:MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 8:51 AM
To: cialug at cialug.org
Subject: Re: [Cialug] Suse and Windows XP

FAT32 does not have support for user/group ownership.
By default, it mounts as owned by root:root.  You have
a few options:

1) Make a user:group like windows:windows, put all your users into the
   windows group, and mount the volume with a group +rw option.
2) Mount the volume with an other +rw option (bad security)
3) Split your windows install into a minimal C: (NTFS) and a D:
   for everything else formatted with ext3.  Use the driver from
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd .  It will work because
   ext3 is really just ext2 with journaling.

I prefer option 3, as it keeps shared data on a shared partition, but you
can use the read-only NTFS driver to access your system data via Linux.  You
can also (if all partitions are ext3) see your Linux data from Windows.

Back when I was dual booting, I went pretty far down the 1) and 2) paths.  I
can tell you from experience, it's just not worth it. Once you start
partitioning Windows like you (should) partiton Linux, even the Windows
stability improves.

Should we have a partitioning techniques/filesystems discussion at the next
meeting?