[Cialug] OT-sorta: Theo De Raadt & Christos Zoulas

Nathaniel Petersen major.stubble at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 19:41:00 CDT 2005

This is the first time that I have actually read a fair interview with
Christos Zoulas.  The last interview that I read was about four years
ago by C|Net that (for me, at least) completely missed the point of
NetBSD.  Even this interview was still too GNU/Linux based.

Theo de Raadt was the whole reason I swore off BSD in the first place
(at the time, OpenBSD was much more vocal than Net and Free -
<sarcasm> Gee, can't imagine why? </sarcasm>)  Frankly, he sounds like
a spoiled child who wants everyone to play by his rules, or he'll take
his ball home.  I appreciate the inroads that he has made with
OpenBSD, but frankly, the bridges he has burned in the process
astounds me.

One quote still stands out to me:

"Linux has far too many filesystems and each distribution is promoting
a different one (for political reasons mostly, not because of
technical merit)."  --Christos Zoulas

This, and many other comments made by Christos were accurate and fair.
 However, I think that the Rat...er...I mean de Raadt should listen
carefully to this comment.  In the end, should OpenBSD face its end, I
am confident it will be because of 'political reasons.'

That being said, I'm thinking that I might give NetBSD another try in
the near future.  I don't want to lose all of my UNIX skills.

-Nick