[Cialug] Stuck on Nvidia GF Ti 4200 config

Alan Maupin alan.maupin at mchsi.com
Thu Jun 16 22:50:36 CDT 2005

Thanks Joe, I swear I flipped the egg without breaking the yoke and did
righty tighty, lefty loosey on the nut.

-- here are the results of the reformated commands!

debian:/#   apt-get install build-essential module-assistant
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
build-essential is already the newest version.
module-assistant is already the newest version.
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://mirrors.kernel.org
stable/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/mirrors.kernel.org_debian_dists_stable_non-free_binary-i
386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.debian.org
stable/updates/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_non-free_binary
-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
debian:/#   module-assistant auto-install nvidia
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://mirrors.kernel.org
stable/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/mirrors.kernel.org_debian_dists_stable_non-free_binary-i
386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.debian.org
stable/updates/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_non-free_binary
-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Couldn't find package nvidia-kernel-source

Updated infos about 1 packages
debian:/# apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-settings Reading Package
Lists... Done Building Dependency Tree... Done Package nvidia-glx is not
available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only
available from another source
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://mirrors.kernel.org
stable/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/mirrors.kernel.org_debian_dists_stable_non-free_binary-i
386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.debian.org
stable/updates/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_non-free_binary
-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Package nvidia-glx has no installation candidate debian:/# echo nvidia >>
/etc/modules debian:/# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86