[Cialug] best supported/performing Ethernet adapter follow-up

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Jun 14 08:50:17 CDT 2005

OK, I put the Intel adapter in last night.  I have no quantitative results,
but subjectively "wow".  The machine "feels" about 15% faster and video
played much more smoothly.  My MP3s sounded better with an increased dynamic
range (OK, only kidding about that one).

Seriously, the change made a noticeable difference.  Thanks to all who
recommended Intel.

BTW, I had the presence of mind to disable the onboard network controller
before booting with the new card in place and when Redhat 9 booted KUDZU
noticed the RHINE was gone and disabled it, found the Intel and enabled it,
and then asked if I wanted to migrate my settings (oh yeah!).  Worked great,
probably saved me another 15 minutes of futzing with settings and checking
things over.  I've never seen Windows do that.

-Nate