[Cialug] Noise

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Tue Jun 14 08:02:05 CDT 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> Suppose that you had a couple of rack mount servers in your home office.
> What if you cut a hole in a closet door and screwed a rack mount frame
> onto the door and then you modified a cold air return in the closet to
> vent the hot air from the servers away. Would the result be:

You would also need an air feed at the top of the closet or you won't have
any flow through.

> What else are people doing with their home offices? In my current home
> office, I'm using a network of 3 pcs. The heat was a problem until I
> added a second cold air return near the cieling. Now the room
> temperature is consistent with the rest of the house.
> I'm about to move into a new house and at that time I'd like to switch
> over to using the servers and ditch the pc's, but the noise is a huge
> issue. I'd also rather not have to remove/change or slow the speed of
> any of the fans in the servers.

Put the servers in colocation or the basement. Both are naturally cooler
and not near your ears.

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent