[Cialug] Noise

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Tue Jun 14 07:36:38 CDT 2005

Suppose that you had a couple of rack mount servers in your home office.
What if you cut a hole in a closet door and screwed a rack mount frame
onto the door and then you modified a cold air return in the closet to
vent the hot air from the servers away. Would the result be:

a) the noise and heat from servers would be considerably less
b) the noise would be about the same and the heat less
c) the noise would echo through the house via the cold air return
d) the wife would freak
e) some one asks why you just didn't put the servers in the basement in
the laundry room and ssh into them as needed.
f) You win the geek of year award

What else are people doing with their home offices? In my current home
office, I'm using a network of 3 pcs. The heat was a problem until I
added a second cold air return near the cieling. Now the room
temperature is consistent with the rest of the house.

I'm about to move into a new house and at that time I'd like to switch
over to using the servers and ditch the pc's, but the noise is a huge
issue. I'd also rather not have to remove/change or slow the speed of
any of the fans in the servers.

:) Dave

--

Open Source Information Systems (OSIS)