[Cialug] Debian ?

Mark Hesseltine markhesseltine at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 16:30:13 CDT 2005

On 6/13/05, albus <albus at iowaconnect.com> wrote:
> Okay you Debianites.
>
> How do I apt-get remove all of a set of packages such as games or editors or
> etc.....?
> I've installed Knoppix 3.8 (a PAIN to say the least) but now I want to rip
> everything out
> as I don't want anything on but Firefox for browsing and that's about it.
>
> It is going  in to a coffee shop for the casual user to browse the net and
> that about all.
>
> I know I can run it from the CD-ROM but I figure in time it will wear the
> he11 out of
> the drive.

dpkg --get-selections | cut -f 1 > installed_packages

This would create a file of all the packages installed. You could edit
this file to remove the packages you don't want to remove (i.e.
firefox, X, etc.) Save the file as remove_packages

You could then do an:

apt-get remove --purge `cat remove_packages`

This would remove all the packages in the installed_packages list
(which would be the ones that you didn't want to save). If this borked
the system, you could always

apt-get install `cat installed_packages`

to get back to the way things were before.

I don't know that there is an easier way, other than to do a fresh and
clean Debian/Ubuntu install and only install the items you want.

--
Mark Hesseltine
mailto:markhesseltine at gmail.com