[Cialug] OT: More on Intel or Moron on Intel

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Fri Jun 10 12:07:42 CDT 2005

I know an engineer who has worked for Intel and is now at AMD. A lot of
what your friend says is similar to what I've heard from him.

IMHO - it would be really nifty to build an architecture where you could
plug & play multiple cpu cores to increase performance as needed. My
"dream" system would have an open bus architecture where cpu, memory,
storage, io and other stuff could just be plugged in as modules as
needed. If your computer isn't fast enough, you just go to BigBox
Computer Store and buy another processor module or two. You could also
have the system enable & disable modules as needed to reduce power & heat.

I'm sure some people with actual engineering experience can tell me many
reasons why this is just a dream... but I think it could happen eventually.

BTW - there are some Open Source processor designs in the works. Most of
the ones I've heard of are more to replace small device processors like
the ARM.

-dc